Monday, September 22, 2008

Turntablism en Medallo


The first Saturday of each month features the San Alejo Artisan festival in Plaza Bolivar, Medellin Colombia. San Alejo is an excellent place to shop and support local artists. One can come across a variety of handmade items like belts, bracelets, blankets, antiques, jewelry and food.  
When I walk into San Alejo on this sunny and fresh 70ish day I hear the sounds of old tango but being played very very slow and as I look up I run up on my man in the picture who is reppin' soooo hard i started to cry.  For real this cat is equipped with a broken homemade turntable connected to a blow horn which is basically dude's speakers. The turntable is broken so this Don uses his hands and fingers to keep the rhythm.  While he plays the 45 record on the turntable with his right hand he uses his left hand to move the dolls (keep them from falling) that are walk-dancing on this home made board game where I was successful at locating the word "Laser". Check out the video  

No comments: